There are many factors to success and we could squabble over what is the most important factor, however, I think most would agree that PURPOSE is the most important.
According to Webster dictionary it is defined as “something set up as an object or end result to be attained.” To be ON PURPOSE means to be in line with achieving what you desire.
There are a multitude of examples of doctors who have great procedures and efficiently ran offices who aren’t ON PURPOSE and the office results suffer. I am not saying there is any “one right purpose” for all doctors. Some doctors will set very attainable, modest goals while others set unattainable goals they chase after and are happy to come anywhere close to.
Ultimately, the PURPOSE of your office is up to you as is the art of staying ON PURPOSE.
An ON PURPOSE office and doctor must commit their PURPOSE to writing and must factor their PURPOSE into all office decisions. Setting the PURPOSE of the office is the first and easiest step. Step 2 is to stay ON PURPOSE. We all know it is virtually impossible to stay ON PURPOSE every second of every day, but we must strive to be in this state as often as possible to achieve the highest levels of success in practice and life.
In order to know if you are in a state of ON PURPOSE, you need to know what it feels like to be OFF PURPOSE:) There are 2 ways to do so. If you realize you are no longer having any fun in your office, consider seriously that you are OFF PURPOSE. If your office is experiencing negative growth for 2-3 weeks, consider yourself and your office OFF PURPOSE. Realizing you are OFF PURPOSE solves half the problem. The other half is getting you back on track for success – back ON PURPOSE. Let’s give you 10 ways to do so:
(1) Read some patient testimonials you have received throughout the years. This will remind you of your value and the importance of your work.
(2) Visit the office of a highly successful doctor and utilize his/her energy to refuel yourself and your PURPOSE.
(3) Read out loud your “Statement of PURPOSE” in the morning, lunch and before you go home at night.
(4) Close your eyes and meditate a bit on back when you were a chiropractic student and the dreams and goals you had for when you were in practice, what you wanted to achieve, who you wanted to be.
(5) Ask yourself if you would be happier in another profession. If you feel strongly about this, it may be time to change direction. If not, get motivated by whatever means it takes.
(6) Call an office meeting and sit with your team and discuss what being ON PURPOSE means and achieves for your team and community as a whole and discuss how to get back ON PURPOSE. Get everyone involved. This will create amazing energy among your team.
(7) Attend a convention, seminar, speaking event with some powerful speakers that you know motivate you and get your ON PURPOSE back!!
(8) Meet with your partner or another chiropractor who is ON PURPOSE and discuss PURPOSE – you are sure to get the engine fired back up – make sure this is a chiropractor who is driving toward success and not a burnt out chiropractor that may drain you more.
(9) Schedule a health talk or go out and do a spinal screening at a health fair/street fair where you can get back into discussing the value of chiropractic and what you have seen and been able to do in your career to help the community get back to health.
(10) If none of the above works, you may need a break. Schedule a vacation (5-7 days off where you can relax, mastermind, meditate, re-aquaint yourself with your priorities in life – set new goals, aspire toward new dreams.
Being ON PURPOSE is your foundation for success. Without it you are doomed for a life of mediocrity where you just aren’t truly enjoying what you do for a living. With it, you are driving toward and engulfed in success and will have more fulfillment in every area of life.
You have it in you to create a ON PURPOSE life doctor – now get to it!!!!
Timothy Feuling is the Managing Director of CBS Malpractice Insurance Program (NFP Property & Casualty). As an insurance broker he is able to shop the market to find you the most competitive premiums for the most comprehensive policies. You can reach Timothy at 1-858-750-9176 or by email at Tim@CallTimToday.com . Authoring 5 books on chiropractic risk management and patient testimonials, Timothy has a deep rooted passion for serving the chiropractic profession throughout the remainder of his life. Chiropractic has given him far more than he can ever give back.